One of the most rewarding aspects of my job is when I get to try new technology together with users in the Volvo Group business. The chance to really get to know a part of our business and at the same time help the colleagues in that business take advantage of new technology to improve some aspect of their day-to-day job is exciting!
My latest prototype was executed out in the workshop together with service technicians from Volvo Trucks in Sweden and China. The basic idea was to see if we might further increase quality in the services performed by the technicians if they had easy access to real-time information on a mobile device. The ideation and development was done in cooperation with Volvo Parts.
Questions that we wanted to evaluate during the prototype were:
- Is it possible to use a consumer product, like a smartphone, in the tough environment of a workshop?
- What is the perception of usability and access to the information?
- Can we use animations rather than text or in combination with text and images?
The feedback from the tests has been very positive and I hope that this technology will soon help our technicians to deliver up-time to our customers!
- http://www.volvotrucks.com/trucks/global/en-gb/newsmedia/pressreleases/Pages/pressreleases.aspx?pubId=10771 (www.volvotrucks.com)
- Volvo Group TechShow 2011 (volvoitblog.com)